We need you!
On August 18, President Biden announced that all nursing home staff will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in an upcoming regulation. AHCA/NCAL sent a letter to HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra and CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, expressing their concerns about the impact this mandate may have on staffing. The letter advocated that any mandate needs to apply to all health care settings, not just nursing homes, and offer a routine testing option for individuals who refuse a vaccine. AHCA/NCAL will continue their advocacy efforts, but CMS has asked to hear from you too.
As CMS is working on the regulation, they’ve asked to hear feedback from providers on the impact of this proposed mandate. We are encouraging ALL STAFF to send an email to CMS sharing your facility’s story and perspective. Everyone should submit their emails no later than Friday, September 3rd.
• You can easily send your message through Voter Voice:
***Information to include in your email:***
INCLUDE YOUR FACILITY STORY, CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPLEMENTING THE MANDATE, FOCUSING ON:
- Your efforts to increase vaccine uptake among staff and challenges you’ve experienced as well as successes you have had
- The impact it will have on your facility’s staffing, noting personal stories such as the potential for losing committed and caring team members
- Any impact it will have on your ability to continue to accept residents and provide care in your local community
- Any policies you want to advocate for (e.g. testing option for the unvaccinated, phase-in of this mandate, extension to other health care settings)
If you need assistance submitting your email or would like additional guidance on composing your message, please reach out to Heather Brekke email@example.com or Dan Strittmater firstname.lastname@example.org.